Friday, November 9, 2007

Cindy is Seeping into my Classroom Beyond Book Club

This evening I received the following e-mail from one of my students:

"We should discuss this in class. I feel like we don't get enough oportunity in school to talk about political stuff. Thinking can really get kids thinking and off their butt. It did for me. Also, here's the usury thing.
Cheers,
[Rebecca's Student]
( I can't wait to go to class on monday! ;)"


The "this" he refers to is a pre-reading assignment I ask the students to complete before we read The Merchant of Venice. Students are asked to use an on-line debt calculator that allows them to plug in varying amounts of debt, interest rates, and type of payment to determine how long it takes to pay off credit card debt. This helps the idea of usury (charging interest on a loan) make a bit more sense to the students who for the most part are ignorant about most financial matters.

His comment, "I feel like we don't get enough opportunity in school to talk about political stuff. Thinking can really get kids thinking and off their butt" comes directly from a conversation he (and his book club) had with Cindy. He has repeatedly told me that my class is his favorite class because it makes him think.

I think it is interesting that he has interpreted credit card debt as "political stuff," but I also thought that it was validation for Cindy's research. Students want to be invited into conversations about topics that matter in the "real world."

Cheers to Cindy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous email to get from a student! Kudos. How wonderful also to know that making students think isn't the punishment most of them seem to think it is. Sometimes I know I tend to overlook the quiet students who want to be challenged because I'm so wrapped up in challenging the complacent student. This is a great reality check to help us remember what teaching is all about.

Anonymous said...

Okay Rebecca - don't forget you've got us hanging out here wondering how the discussion on Monday went. I'm interested in the follow-up from the student email.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Flores Online, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://flores-on-line.blogspot.com. A hug.